This site uses third party services that need your consent. Learn more

Skip to content

Post published on

Claiming free NHS dental treatment


The NHS provides free dental treatment for certain individuals depending on their circumstances, such as age, maternity, household income and the type of benefits being claimed.

How can I check my eligibility for help with dental costs?

The NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) provides a guide about claiming free NHS dental care. The guide is broken down into the links below.

Key Points:

  • The HC1 form for families with a low income is available online and can be ordered from the helpline on 0300 330 1343. Alternatively, forms may be available at the Jobcentre, GP practice, pharmacy or Citizens Advice Bureau.

  • If you are unsure about your eligibility or are waiting for a decision about your eligibility, you will need to pay for your treatment. If you later find out you are eligible, you can apply for a refund within three months of having treatment. You will need to complete an HC5(D) form or an HC5W(D) if you live in Wales and prove that you were previously eligible.

  • False claims of eligibility result in a penalty charge of £100, plus the cost of any treatment provided. The cost of the fine can quickly escalate if it is not paid within certain timescales.

  • If your award for claiming free dental care has expired, please ensure you have a new award to continue to claim free dental treatment, otherwise, you will be considered as wrongly claiming for free dental treatment, which will result in being charged.

  • If you are eligible for free treatment, it is important to take proof of your entitlement with you, and speak to your dental practice before your treatment begins.

What do I do if I think I have been given a Penalty Charge Notice incorrectly?

  • You can email, write, phone or complete an online form to challenge the decision.

  • You can only challenge a Penalty Charge Notice if there has been a mistake and you were entitled to free dental care or dental care at a reduced cost, or you can prove that you had an exceptional reason not to pay.

When will the NHSBSA not accept a challenge?

  • A challenge is not valid if your exemption certificate has expired and you thought this would automatically renew.

  • If you feel you have been wrongly advised by the dental practice.

  • If you believed that your benefits entitled you to free or reduced treatment.

  • If your challenge is successful, your penalty charge may be reduced or waivered, but in some cases, you may still have to pay for your treatment costs.


Read and download our factsheet on Claiming free NHS dental treatment below:

Claiming Free NHS Dental Treatment.pdf (pdf - 774897)

More posts